Having white teeth is a dream of many people. Unfortunately, because of the food we eat and our daily habits, it’s easy to turn your sparkly whites into darker yellows and browns. The good news is that today’s teeth whitening solutions are more than capable of fixing all your tooth discoloration problems and transforming your smile.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
You may not even know it, but many of the causes of discoloration may be part of your regular habits and lifestyle:
- Eating dark colored foods. Dark pigments in foods such as blueberries, tomato sauce, and cranberries can stick to the tooth enamel and create a film of discoloration.
- Drinking coffee. Coffee has a dark color, even if you put creamer in it. Apart from that, it’s also acidic. The acid can wear down the tooth enamel, allowing the dark pigments to penetrate deeper and cause more visible discoloration.
- Drinking alcohol. Alcohol is also acidic, creating a similar effect as coffee. Red wine is the most common culprit of tooth discoloration caused by alcohol because of its strong
- Smoking. Any tobacco product can cause discoloration, especially when used on a daily basis. Not only that, smoking can also darken the gums and lips.
- Taking certain medications. Some drugs, particularly those for diabetes, asthma and hypertension, can cause the teeth to turn yellowish. In such cases, you may ask your doctor to replace the drugs with another variant that has the same medical effect without causing tooth discoloration.
Other factors which may contribute to tooth discoloration, but are completely out of our control are:
- Age. As we get older, our teeth naturally turn more yellowish because of the erosion of enamel and accumulation of substances that cause discoloration.
- Genetics. If your family members have yellowish teeth, it is highly likely that you will have them, too.
- Illnesses. Some illnesses can affect the health of the dental tissues while others, like cancer, require invasive treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, which can also deteriorate oral health.
- Fluorosis. Children who had excessive fluoride during their youth may develop fluorosis. The teeth may appear speckled with yellow spots and the white color may look somewhat translucent.
Is There A Way To Prevent Teeth Stains?
Although some causes are preventable, such as drinking and smoking, others are beyond the patientâ€™s control. That is why teeth whitening solutions were developed. No matter what has caused your teeth to turn yellow, you can always find a way to restore the natural color of your pearly whites.
What Teeth Whitening Solutions Are Available?
There are numerous ways to whiten teeth. Some of them are available in major drugstores, while others are exclusively inside the dentistâ€™s office. Here are the most common teeth whitening solutions used today:
Over The Counter Products
Today, you can buy teeth whitening gels and strips from drugstores without prescription. These overthecounter products are designed to whiten teeth one step at a time, usually taking 46 weeks to produce relevant results. The product should be used on a daily basis to get the best results. At the end of the treatment period, the teeth may become 23 shades whiter, although the results vary from person to person.
Dentifrices With Added Whitening Features
Dentifrices, or oral cleaning products, are very common and are used on a daily basis. One of the ways that manufacturers attract buyers is by adding new features that promise certain results. Today, you can find tons of whitening toothpastes and mouthwashes in grocery stores, and each one has its own description of how it can whiten teeth.
Some consumers are specifically interested in using products that promise â€œwhitening in one useâ€. Although they may work, the results are only temporary. The effect is caused by an ingredient that coats the teeth with a luminous film, making them look as though they are whiter. Others use an abrasive to erase stains which can also etch the enamel and weaken your teeth. Make sure you read and research the ingredients carefully.
At Home Whitening Kits
For patients who prefer getting athome kits, Alderwood Family Dental offers our customized dental trays and prescription whitening gel. The advantage of using athome kits is that you can comfortably wear the customized dental trays while youâ€™re sleeping. The trays will be fabricated from the exact mold of your teeth, ensuring an excellent fit. The results may also take a few weeks but because the gel is prescriptiongrade, it can make teeth several times whiter than overthecounter products.
InClinic Whitening Procedure
For those who would like instant whitening with the best possible results, you may visit any of our locations to get inclinic teeth whitening. Our inclinic whitening procedure lasts for less than an hour and makes use of the latest whitening technology in dentistry. Your teeth will look up to eight shades whiter with this treatment.
Get Your Teeth Whitened By The Best Lynnwood Dentist
Now that you know what to expect from each type of treatment, we at Alderwood Family Dental highly suggest you pay a visit to our office so that our dentists can give you professional recommendations. If you are interested in getting a one-time, in-clinic teeth whitening, request an appointment using our convenient online form.